Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is an heirloom recipe using a method probably better replaced by a slow-cooker or crockpot. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 tomatoes (or 2 cups cooked tomatoes...canned is fine)
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups peas
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash allspice
- 2 quarts stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- Arrange vegetables, rice and seasonings in alternate layers in the bottom of a stone crock with a cover or a casserole.
- Pour stock over vegetables.
- Cover and seal to keep in the steam.
- Set crock in a pan of hot water.
- Place in a slow oven (300F) and cook 4 to 6 hours.