Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Chunky, hearty and wholesome!
- 2 cups split peas, dried
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 (400 g) can corn kernels, drained
- 2 (400 g) canspeeled tomatoes
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Rinse and drain split peas in saucepan; cover with water, bring to boil and drain again.
- Place peas in large slow cooker and add 5 cups water, ham, onion, celery, corn, tomatoes, stock and salt.
- Cover, cook on LOW 7-9 hours.
- Mix cornflour with 1/3 cup water in bowl, turn cooker to HIGH, add cornflour mix and stir.
- Cook 10 more minutes until stew thickens.
Oh my gosh JennyMidget, this was a fabulous stew. We had fresh-baked rosemary herb rolls with it. It was cooking in crock pot while we were out for my daughter's riding lesson and we returned home to the most inviting smell from the kitchen. And it tasted just as fabulous as it smelled. All of the flavors melded together quite well, but I think it was the seasoning salt and peas that really topped it all off so nicely. I am so glad I ran across this recipe. It was not only a great use of our leftover ham, but it exceeded my expectations and provided a great tasting meal.