Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a great way to add vegies to your OAMC! Use this basic recipe for any kind of greens collard, mustard, turnip or kale! Greens cook down to NOTHING if you think you have enough buy one more! If you hate the STINK of cooking greens try this little trick add several WHOLE pecans in the shell to the pot the entire time it cooks- it does help cut down the smell. simple throw away when ready to eat!
- 5 lbs greens, washed throughly and tough stems removed
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 piece salt pork, about 2-inch wide 1-inch thick and 4-inch long (aka. fat back)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- hot pepper vinegar (optional)
- place ham hocks, salt pork (aka. fat back), salt, pepper, onion in the largest stock pot you have and fill pot half way with water. bring to a boil.
- let cook at a low boil for at least one hour before adding greens.
- chop or tear greens if desired. once greens are added sprinkle sugar over greens and let cook down until almost all greens are under water. if more water is needed add it. let simmer for 2-3 hours (we cook it out side on the porpane burner).
- turn off heat remove hocks and salt pork. eat with hot pepper vinegar or let cool completely and place into freezer bags making sure greens are covered with the pot liquor they cooked in to prevent freezer burn- plus can't waste all that flavor!
- label and freeze making sure to expel as much air as possible.
- after frozen thaw in fridge and then simple heat in a pot for your meal.
- wonderful flavor and so healthy for you.