Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A golden & delicious white chili with a tangy tomatillo kick. This is a hearty stew type soup, full of vegetables and beans. It's extremely healthy: low fat, low cholesterol and low carb but full of taste! Excellent for phase 1 of the South Beach Diet! Easy to prepare using whatever green, white or yellow ingredients you have on hand (it's especially good using chopped jicama if you have it). If using a crockpot cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Excellent served sprinkled with low fat cheddar or mexican cheese blend.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin (to taste)
- 7 garlic cloves, minced (or amount to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (more if you like it hot)
- 2 green peppers or 2 yellow peppers, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) jars salsa verde (with tomatillo)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 yellow tomatoes, chopped (orange or green tomatoes work well too)
- 1 jicama, chopped into 1 inch cubes (optional)
- 48 ounces low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced (fresh is best)
- Season the cut chicken breast with the salt and 1/2 of the ground cumin seed.
- Brown the onion in olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed stock pot.
- Add the chicken and cook until nearly done.
- Add the garlic, oregano & jalapeno and cook another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they begin to break apart, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, salsa verde (tomatillo sauce), green pepper, celery & jicama (if available). Stir well.
- Add the canellini (or garbanzo) beans & hominy and stir gently to mix well.
- Check for seasonings, adding more ground cumin, salt or jalapeno to your taste.
- Bring to a gentle boil then simmer on low for 1 1/2 hours until done.
- The jicama will stay crunchy, adding a bit of texture to the soup.
- Top with low fat cheddar or mexican cheese blend if desired.
- Excellent if served with cheese quesadillas.
Great recipe!! I will definitely make again. I was a little leary of "white chili" but it was very good.