1/13 Photos of Sourdough Onion Rye Bread
3 hrs 50 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
Great deli-style rye bread for sourdough lovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To proof your starter, feed it with equal parts of flour and water, cover loosely and let it sit overnight or up to 12 hours (longer proof=sourer flavor).
- 2At this point, measure out your 2 cups of starter into mixing bowl and proceed with recipe.
- 3Saute onions in olive oil until they become translucent.
- 4Remove from heat and add butter, water and salt.
- 5Cool to lukewarm (85 degrees F) and stir into starter.
- 6Add the rye flour and mix well.
- 7Add the white flour gradually, until it is too stiff to mix by hand.
- 8Turn onto a floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour until dough is satiny.
- 9Shape into an elongate loaf.
- 10Place on baking sheet and let rise, covered, in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours, or until about doubled in bulk (rising time will vary according to your starter, but it takes longer than breads made with commercial yeast).
- 11Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 12Make diagonal slashes in top of loaf with a razor blade or very sharp knife.
- 13Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- 14Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
- 15This bread could also be made using the dough cycle of your bread machine.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Onion Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1521.9
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 2540.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 256.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: