Sourdough is believed to have originated in Ancient Egyptian times around 1500 BC, and was likely the first form of leavening available to bakers. Comes from a November 1978 Better Homes and Garden magazine. I haven't made this in years but it is delicious!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 4 eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (10X)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degree f.
- In mixing bowl stir together four, sugar, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon.
- Add carrots, oil, sourdough starter and eggs.
- Mix until moistened.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer for two minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured (I use PAM).
- 13x9 baking pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 55 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- In small bowl beat together cream cheese and butter.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.