Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are great for any holiday, but I especially like to make them for Christmas or Valentine's Day. Plan ahead, the dough has to be refrigerated for about 1 hour before rolling. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract or 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup milk
- paste food coloring
- In large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter or the cutter of your choice.
- Place 1 inch apart on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in large mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Tint with food coloring.
- Decorate cookies as desired.
These are so easy to make and so yummy. Great taste. A friend of mine was over today and she couldn't believe there was sour cream in these cookies. They were soft and very moist. I will be making these again. Thanks for my new best cookie recipe ever!