This pie was made by my Grandmother and the recipe was passed to me by my Mother. This pie is delicious and always brings back fond memories when I make it.
- Cook all filling ingredients in sauce pan on top of stove until mixture thickens and foam disappears.
- Use a large pan for this as the vinegar and soda will foam up.
- Turn into unbaked pie crust and top with second crust.
- Brush top with milk and cut slits to vent.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 min and then reduce oven temp to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes or until brown.
I am not a raisin lover, but my husband said it was a 5-star recipe! Thanks for a great one!....Gina :)
I tried this once before, I thought it was going to taste horrible because of the name. When I tried it, WOW it was so sweet and SO good. I made it again for Thanksgiving, and it was wonderful. I don't know if it is the same recipe, yet it sure was DAMN good. Although you sure have to brace yourself, its pretty sweet. Yet not sweet enough to have more later!!!
This was a delicious pie. It reminded me of the flavors of Christmas, but we had it in July. I will make this again. Thanks for sharing