Southern Sunday Chicken
photo by AZPARZYCH
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable bag, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Cut chicken pieces into thirds; place in the bag and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Brown chicken on all sides; remove and keep warm.
- Add onion, celery and mushrooms; cook until tender.
- Return chicken to the pan; add broth. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth.
- Add to pan; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve over noodles.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is really tasty and was easy to put together. I made it with chicken tenders and a shallot rather than the onion. The only addition it needed was a little salt in the sauce; I added about 3/4 tsp in the chicken breading and used low sodium chicken broth but other than that it was perfect! Made for May 'Farm Cooking' with Andi Tag 5/2010.