Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is probably my favorite of all the coffee cakes/breakfast breads that they served at the Dining Common. Chocolate for breakfast? Who wouldn't enjoy?
- 177.44 ml butter
- 414.03 ml sugar (divided)
- 709.77 ml flour
- 354.88 ml sour cream
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml orange zest
- 3 eggs
- 158.51 ml walnuts
- 44.37 ml cocoa
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml chocolate chips
- Soften butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- With an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Add flour, sour cream, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, orange zest, and eggs, and beat on low to medium until well blended.
- Spread half of the batter in the baking dish.
- Chop walnuts and combine with cocoa, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Sprinkle over batter, and top with remaining batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- After removing from oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the surface of the cake.