A simple and flavorful vegetable soup from The Soup Bible by Debra Mayhew. The combination of pesto and sundried tomato paste is an inspired touch.
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup thin green beans, cut in 1/2 inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1⁄2 cup pasta, small pasta shapes (for example, conchigliette, ditali or farfalline)
- 4 -6 tablespoons traditional basil-based pesto sauce (commercial or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place vegetable stock in a large saucepan, add zucchini through tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add green beans through pasta and cook about 10 minutes longer until pasta is tender.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Whisk together pesto and sundried tomato paste.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls and stir a spoonful of the pesto mixture into each.
- Pass around grated Parmesan to be sprinkled on soup, if desired.