Swiss Chard Soup With Tortellini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 large swiss chard
- 6 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 medium yellow squash, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped (or 1t dry)
- parmesan cheese
- cover sun-dried tomatoes with hot water, let stand till needed.
- Heat oil in large soup pot, add onion and carrot and saute over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionoally until onion is golden.
- Wash and trim swiss chard off of ribs, cut into 1/2 in by 2 in shreds. Place in another large pot, steam 5-7 minutes, until limp and bright green (I sometimes skip this part and just let it cook in the soup).
- Add 6 c water (or broth), tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and italian seasoning to onion and carrots. Gently simmer covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the yellow squash , dill and tortellini and simmer 10 more minutes until they are done.
- Stir in swiss chard, season with salt and pepper (can add more water if it seems too crowded).
- top with parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Loved it. I added sausage and sauteed with onion. I also used chicken broth along with water to make lots of broth. I usually guess the amounts of ingredients anyways. Left out the dill. I have never cooked with it and I'm a chicken. My daughter is a vegetarian and I plan to make this for her. Thanks.