Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A creamy tangy Spring and Fall soup. Adapted from "Herbs" how to grow and use them, "Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery", and "Gastronmique". To make this for my Vegetarian friends, I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Remove stems from Sorrel leaves, wash in salad spinner and set aside, reserving 2 leaves for garnish.
- Sauté finely chopped onion in butter until translucent.
- Heat broth but do not boil.
- Add sorrel leaves to onions and wilt.
- Add flour, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Continue stirring while adding hot broth.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Put through blender 1 cup at a time, or use hand held blender directly in sauce pan, using low speed.
- Return soup to low heat, do not allow to boil.
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a large cup, slowly stirring into them a little of the hot soup.
- Slowly pour the mixture back into the soup while stirring.
- Continue to stir while adding cream.
- Heat through, but do not boil.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with thin slices of reserved Sorrel leaves and rounds of toasted baguette.