Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Mexican Lime Soup. Extracted from an old Ortho Mexican cooking magazine
Make and share this Sopa De Lima recipe from Food.com.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (not roasted)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) bag tortillas
- Place in a soup pot the chicken breasts, broth, quartered onion, garlic, peppercorns, salt and thyme. Cover and cook 30 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool in the broth.
- Remove chicken; skin and bone the chicken, then shred the meat. Strain the broth into a separate container.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil in the soup pot. Add the chopped onion and green chili and cook until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook again briefly.
- Return the broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the juice of 3 or 4 fresh limes, plus a squeezed lime half. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the lime half and add the shredded chicken and cilantro. Simmer and additional 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice the avocados and cut the remaining limes into wedges. Serve the soup and drop tortillas into each bowl. Garnish with sliced avocadoes and lime wedges.