This is a very tasty soup. I love the lime and garnishes!
Make and share this Sopa De Lima recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, poached and shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted peeled seeded and finely diced or 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced mild green chilies
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely diced or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 avocado, peeled pitted and sliced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, finely diced
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips deep fried and drained on paper towels or 8 corn tortilla strips
- 1 lime, cut into wheels
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook and shred chicken. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a large pot and heat over medium high heat until hot. Add the onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute or until onions are translucent.
- Add the poblano chiles, tomatoes, spices and chicken broth. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and lime juice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish each serving of soup with the avocado slices, diced serrano chile, tortilla strips, lime wheels, and cilantro. Also good with sour cream.
I have made this 4 times. It is my new favorite soup! I use 4-5 large chicken breasts. I also add the cumin. The recipe is so easy, now that I have done it a few times I can do w/o looking at the recipe. My favorite part is the fresh toppings, it makes the soup. Great for big get togethers...double recipe and make a bar w/the toppings. YUMMY!!!
Yummy tangy soup! We loved the lime in this. I cooked this in the crock pot, so skipped the oil. I also tripled the chilis and doubled the serranos (deseeded) and cooked them into it, but this didn't make it spicy. I also followed another reviewer and added cumin (2 tsp). I would double the chicken next time, so it is heartier, as it really only served 4. We topped the soup with baked tortilla chips and fresh corn, which paired well. I imagine you could also cook frozen corn into the soup as well. Great for lime lovers!
whoa!! this is delicious and im normally no soup lover. (it was the lime that sucked me in to try it :) ) Its spicy but the garnishes cool it and oh its addictive. Update: The day after, i simmered it again and not realizing how high my "simmer" was it reduced a lot..PERFECT for soft tacos :)