1/5 Photos of Somerset Red Onion Marmalade #1
Adapted from Margarite Patten's Every Day Cook Book Apple Chutney Recipe. It's thick and sweet and very good with ham or cheese.Try it on cheese on toast or add it to the gravy for sausage and mash. I also add it to meatloaf in the mixing. For a darker richer taste substitute the 1/2 pint of red wine vinegar for 1/4 pint each of red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar.
My Private Note
Half li ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the thinly sliced onions into a large heavy bottomed pan that has a tight fitting lid together with the vinegar and simmer until soft.
- 2Add the spices, salt and ginger and stir.
- 3Add the sugar and boil steadily until the marmalade is thick and a wooden spoon drawn through the mixture leaves a distinct gap.
- 4Spoon into hot preserving jars and seal.
- 5Store in a cool, dark, dry cupboard. Can be used immediately but improves with keeping and will keep well for a year.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Somerset Red Onion Marmalade #1
Serving Size: 1 (1949 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 944.4
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1247.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 231.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 193.9 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: