Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from Emeril's There's a Chef in My Soup! Recipes for the Kid in Everyone by Emeril Lagasse. I found this on the back page of my BJ's Wholesale Club Journal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
Baby Bam Recipe
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine, using a wooden spoon.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add meat and stir with a long handled wooden spoon to break up the pieces.
- Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through; about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, 2 tsp Baby Bam, salt, cumin and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces.
- Add the squeezed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot.
- Stir well and bring to a boil; lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the pot from the heat.
- ladle the chili into bowls, and serve.