Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
Soba are Japanese buckwheat noodles - you can find them at some grocery stores; if not, any Asian food store should have them. (The recipe originally called for ramen, but I just couldn't do that to people). I've also had good luck finding dried shiitake mushrooms at a reasonable price at Asian food stores. Prep time includes the final sitting time.
- 29.58 ml ginger, minced
- 59.14 ml sweet rice wine (mirin)
- 14.79 ml turbinado sugar or 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 44.37 ml peanut butter
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 453.59 g asparagus
- 56.69 g fresh snow peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 85.04 g shiitake mushrooms
- 236.59 ml bean sprouts, rinsed
- 226.79 g soba noodles
- 59.14 ml roasted peanuts, chopped
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small pan and whisk over low heat until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Trim the asparagus and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Cut snow peas into thirds after pulling the strings.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes (time it!).
- Add the snow peas and cook another 30 seconds, then drain immediately in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Pat the vegetables dry and put into a bowl.
- Cut the pepper into 1/4 inch slices and slice the mushrooms thinly.
- Toss the pepper and mushrooms with the asparagus, peas, and bean sprouts as well as 3 tbs of dressing, then refrigerate.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, break the soba noodles into halves or thirds, and cook until tender.
- Drain and rinse.
- Toss the noodles with the vegetable mix and the remaining dressing, then refrigerate for 15 minutes to let the flavors blend and the noodles absorb some of the dressing.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve.
This was really great! It has a lovely flavor. I added some garlic as well and toasted sesame seeds which I then sprinkled on top. My only complaint was that the sauce tended to be too thick and not smooth enough. I will try increasing theoil next time or using smooth peanut butter, but I will be making it again!