Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Found this in the Miami Herald - too late for Christmas but NOT too late for a decadent winter treat. This was the winning recipe in Nordicware's Bundts Across America contest at http://www.nordicware.com/bundts-across-america/winners/year/2008
- 4 ounces sweet dark chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 6 ounces sweet dark chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup marshmallow creme
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker, coarsely chopped
FLUFFY CREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups marshmallow creme (or fluff)
- 2 -3 cups coconut, shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a Bundt pan with baking spray. Set it upside down on paper towel.
- Combine the melted chocolate and remaining cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until well mixed, 3 to 4 minutes. Place about 2/3 of batter in prepared Bundt pan. Set remainder aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and melted chocolate; stir in marshmallow creme, pecans, and graham crackers. Spoon filling over center of batter in pan without letting it touch the sides. Spoon the reserved batter over the filling.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until cake tests done. Cool upright in pan for 20 minutes; turn carefully onto a cooling rack, and let it cool completely.
- To make frosting, measure confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla, and 2 cups marshmallow crème in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Stir in remaining marshmallow crème until smooth.
- Spread some frosting into the indentations of Bundt cake. Sprinkle frosted sections with coconut. Spread the remaining frosting over a round serving platter and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Place cake in center of platter. Decorate cake with red and green candies if desired. Serve in slices with a dollop of the coconut frosting from the serving plate under the cake.
Had friends over for a ham dinner and this absolutely delicious cake was served for dessert. Went light on the icing, a personal preference. Made for New Kids on the Block, a tag game.