Recipe by dicentra
This is fabulous! Cheap, easy and very tasty! Serve with crusty bread so you have something to soak up all the juices. Sometimes I add diced onion.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
This made for a pretty good light supper served with toasted fresh bread. I left out the celery (didn't have), added only a generous pinch of salt and used fresh corn. Out of laziness, I just added the uncooked wild rice (but scaled down to 3/4 cup) to the boiling (chicken) broth. Quick to make and was overall okay.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 28 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cooked wild rice (or a blend)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 17 ounces corn (canned or frozen, if using canned, don't drain)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan, melt butter and cook carrot, celery and onion, stirring occasionally, until carrot is lightly caramelized, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, bring veggie broth to a boil with the bay leaves and simmer over medium heat.
- Add the rice.
- Cover and keep simmering until vegetables are ready.
- Add the cooked veggies, thyme and corn.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are heated through.
- Stir in liquid smoke.
- Heat through. Discard bay leaves. Serve hot.