Recipe by ellie_
My mother used to make mac n' cheese with tomatoes, so when I tried this recipe which I adapted from a canned tomato ad we loved it, even though it was quite different from Mom's. It is very different from our usual mac 'n cheese (which I already posted)and very good! Note 1: When I made this recipe I wanted to use up some evaporated milk that I had in the refrigerator - which was 1/2 can - this can easily be changed to using all cream or all evaporated milk to equal 1 1/2 cups total cream/evaporated milk. Note 2: cheese--I had about 1/2 pound of smoked and about 1/2 pound of regular Cheddar--although you should use some smoked Cheddar, I think his recipe is very adaptable to use whatever cheese is on hand and my amounts of cheese may be a little off by more or less than the amount listed in the ingredients as I did not measure the cheese but used what I had on hand. Note 3: I didn't use the hot dogs or little smokies but thought they would be great in this casserole.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk (about 1/2 can, see note 1 in description)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream (or heavy cream, see note in description)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (or other coarse salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces medium cheddar, grated (see note 2 in description)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 -4 hot dogs, cooked, sliced (optional, see note 3 in description) or 2 -4 Little Smokies sausages, cooked (optional, see note 3 in description)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking pan with Pam (cooking spray) or grease pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat cream and evaporated milk (see note 1 in description), mustard, salt and pepper to boiling.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese (see note 2 in description)with a whisk or a wooden spoon until melted and smooth.
- REMOVE FROM HEAT.
- Stir in tomatoes, onions and hotdogs or little smokies(if using).
- Put macaroni in baking pan and pour sauce over, mixing in the cheese sauce well so all the macaroni is well covered (this can be done in a separate saucepan or bowl but by mixing in the pan there is one less dish to wash).
- In a small bowl mix together bread crumbs and Parmesan (or if you are making your own bread crumbs in a blender you can add the Parmesan and just whirl the bread crumbs and Parmesan in the blender -- one less dish to wash).
- Sprinkle breadcrumb/Parmesan mixture over the macaroni/cheese in the baking dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.