Easy Stove-Top Macaroni & Cheese
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour, and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring constantly to form a roux; add salt and pepper; slowly add milk, stirring well after each addition.
- Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Stir in cheese a small amount at a time until fully melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce; stir to coat.
Join The Conversation
I wanted to love this recipe but all I can say is that at best it was very creamy but really bland. I followed the directions exactly. I've made several variations of mac and cheese and this by far was my least favorite. Perhaps if a few different kinds of cheese were used to spice up the flavor it would've made a difference. My family had the same response. Definitely lacked a hearty flavor but glad I tried it. It was fine for a side dish to add to a quick meal.