Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great flavours in this dish -- tangy beef, chipotles, sweet roasted peppers and onions. This is a sandwich that needs a beer!
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb skirt steak, sliced against the grain ¼ inch thick
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/3 inch strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/3 inch strips
- 2 medium red onions, halved and sliced lengthwise 1/3 inch thick
- 1 large avocado, coarsely chopped,tossed in the
- 1⁄2 lemons, juice of or 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- sour cream, for serving
- pico de gallo
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large, sturdy plastic bag, combine the chipotles, garlic, 2 tblsps of the olive oil, the lime juice and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Add the skirt steak and marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 250F.
- Heat a large, cast-iron skillet.
- Working with one at a time, add the tortillas to the skillet and warm quickly over high heat, turning once, until softened and heated through, about 15 seconds per side.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and keep warm in the oven.
- Heat 2 tblsps of the olive oil in the skillet until almost smoking.
- Add the red and yellow peppers and cook over high heat, stirring, until starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until tender and lightly charred, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a large plate and keep warm in the oven.
- Add the remaining 1 tblsp olive oil to the skillet and heat just until smoking.
- Pat the steak strips dry with paper towels.
- Add half the strips to the skillet in a single layer.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and cook the remaining steak.
- Return all the meat to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Mound the steak on a plate; serve with the tortillas, onions and peppers, avocado, sour cream, Pico de Gallo and cilantro.
Excellent recipe! Thanks