Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This low fat creamy fettuccine dish is simple and easy to prepare. I use home smoked salmon, but any kippered style salmon works great.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 lb fettuccine
- Sauté garlic in margarine for 1 minute--do not let it brown.
- Add flour and incorporate completely.
- Add skim milk a little at a time and mix until flour has dissolved.
- Cook on medium heat stirring continuously for 8 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and mix until incorporated.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add parmesan cheese and salmon.
- Cook fettuccine according to directions and drain.
- Combine sauce with fettuccine and serve immediately.
I've made this twice now. The first time I used a thin capellini which didn't really suit the somewhat thick sauce and tonight I used fettucine, as per the recipe, which worked well. Both times I added 3/4 to 1 tsp of hot chilli flakes along with plenty of freshly ground black pepper which gave the sauce a nice kick. I topped the pasta with additional grated parmesan. Quick, easy, tasty and low fat!
Delicious. Skipped the cream cheese and added some capers and parsley. I was surprised how thin skim milk became nice, thick sauce once poured over the pasta. Loved it, Bob.
We enjoyed this fettucini quite a bit. Our only problem was that the sauce was a little 'sticky', and we would have preferred it to be smoother. Or maybe if we hadn't mixed it together with the fettucini prior to serving. We will be making again though! We're always on the lookout for good, lowfat pasta sauces. Just might thin out the sauce a little. My husband also suggested adding some hot pepper flakes, as he likes a little 'bite' to his pasta dishes.