Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Looking for a tasty fattening Brussels sprouts recipe? Look no further. It's not low-fat.
- 453.59 g frozen Brussels sprouts (or 1 lb fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml flour
- 236.59 ml heavy cream (or half and half or a combination)
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 0.59 ml paprika
- salt, as needed to taste
- 236.59 ml shredded smoked gouda cheese (or regular Gouda, but I recommend smoked)
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 59.14 ml soft breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly grease/spray a casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, cook Brussels sprouts in salted water until crisp-tender (fresh will take longer than frozen). Drain and place into prepared casserole dish.
- While sprouts are cooking, melt 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan. Add shallots; cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add flour to saucepan and stir constantly to blend.
- Add cream to saucepan; stir.
- Add sugar, pepper, paprika, salt, and shredded cheese to saucepan. Stir frequently and cook until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Pour sauce mixture evenly over Brussels sprouts in the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1 tbsp melted butter and the breadcrumbs. Evenly sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until top is bubbly and slightly browning.
My son in law and I are the only Brussels sprout lovers and we both thought this was great. Others who don't like spouts tried it and liked it too. The smoked Gouda is key.
This was smokey-cheesy-deliciousness!
Even the non-brussels-sprouts-eaters ate this one! Loved it!