Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wanted to try this chicken sausage, Was a little worried as hubby doesn't care for a lot of suprises. He actually liked this one.
- 1 (13 ounce) packagesmoked chicken sausage (i used Grandessa brand sweet,apple gouda)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large granny smith apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- In large saute pan with a lid,saute cabbage, onion& apple in margerine& oil until cabbage is tender about 15 minutes.
- Add sausage.
- Saute another 10-15 minutes.
- Add apple cider simmer covered 10 minutes.
- 5 servings.
- Serve with mashed potatoes& Dijon mustard if desired.
What a simple and delicious meal! I used Grandessa sausage also...the only change that I made was to use half cider and half chicken broth. BF is not real fond of sweet main dishes. It turned our perfect and I will be making this one again! Thanks Katha for another fave to add to my cookbook.
Made this a while ago, but forgot to post a review. Made it with Turkey Kielbasa sausage, used applesauce and cider vinegar instead of apple cider. Added in a tsp or more of dijon mustard, all which added a nice bite! I'd suggest cutting apples and onions into wedges, as they do cook down a lot. We were very surprised at how much we did like this recipe! Will be making it again!!!
Thank you for this recipe. I love the chicken apple sausage from Costco, but never know a creative way to use it. We all really liked this. Next time, I will use 2 apples and 1 whole onion cut in larger chunks. With the long simmer/saute time the onion really cooked down. The apple cider gave it a sweet taste.