Pork Cottage Roll & Cabbage
photo by Ivansocal
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (3 lb) cottage roll
- 1 large onion, halved
- 3 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 - 1 head cabbage (whatever you need)
- 1⁄3 cup honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Put cottage roll in large pot or dutch oven; add onion, carrots, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the roast.
- Remove meat from liquid and place in a baking pan; brush with honey mustard and brown sugar mixed to a paste. Reserve the liquid to cook the cabbage.
- Place roast in the oven, just on "warm" while you cook the cabbage.
- Thinly slice cabbage and cook in the liquid that the roast was in for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until desired tenderness.
- Good served with boiled new potatoes.
I grow up eating this. We did not put it in the oven but we added the cabbage and the potatoes directly to the pot 1/2 hr before end of cooking time. Cook until the potatoes are done. This may take longer than 1/2, depending on how large your chunks of potato are. This gives the potatoes a yummy, salty ham flavor. No need for butter but always a welcome addition on the plate. Serve with brown mustard on the side. Now we are talking 5 stars!
see 4 more reviews
We love this recipe. I've been making it since 2004 and it tastes just as good every time. I have tweaked it a bit towards family preference. I add turnip and parsnip pieces and add apple juice or apple cider with the water when covering the cottage roll. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful recipe. Which we are currently getting ready to enjoy.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I have been running our fireplace business for over 30 years now. We hope to retire soon !!! We have two great kids, and the pic above is "Nan and the grands"