Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my most requested recipes and can be made vegan, It’s much better as is though. This was inspired by my son when he decided to go vegetarian, for the simple reason that I wanted something that all the family would share This is one even your most carnivores’ friends " like me" will love.
- 5 lbs carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 5 quarts vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups cream
- salt and pepper
- Place whole, peeled carrots onto smoker rack. Smoke 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onions, jalapeno pepper, and garlic, cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Chop carrots, and add to onions along with celery; continue cooking another 5 to 10 minutes until the celery softens.
- Stir in turmeric and curry powder until evenly distributed; pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the vegetables out of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour the puree back into the soup, and continue simmering 30 minutes more.
- Whisk butter into soup until melted, then stir in cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain soup through a fine mesh strainer (china cap), before serving.