6 hrs 10 mins
Marla in TX's Note:
Sweet and tasty. Beats the heck out of pork-n-beans. From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Jan/Feb 2008 issue
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb fully cooked Polish sausage or 1/2 lb kielbasa, chopped
- 4 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 medium apples, unpeeled, cored and cut into 1/2 in pieces (optional)
- 1In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- 2Add sausage to drippings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3In an ungreased 5 quart slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Stir in the bacon and sausage.
- 4Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- 5Stir in apples.
- 6Cover and cook 2 hours longer or until bubbly.
- 7Cook's notes: I have never used the apples and never will. Also in a pinch you can cook the onions and bell peppers in the bacon drippings, after the sausage, until translucent then add to the crockpot. This will cut down on cook time.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Simmered Kidney Beans
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.1
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.9 mg
- Sodium 815.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 21.9 g
- Protein 9.2 g