Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Sweet and tasty. Beats the heck out of pork-n-beans. From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Jan/Feb 2008 issue
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fully cooked Polish sausage or 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, chopped
- 4 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 medium apples, unpeeled, cored and cut into 1/2 in pieces (optional)
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- Add sausage to drippings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In an ungreased 5 quart slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Stir in the bacon and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Stir in apples.
- Cover and cook 2 hours longer or until bubbly.
- Cook's notes: I have never used the apples and never will. Also in a pinch you can cook the onions and bell peppers in the bacon drippings, after the sausage, until translucent then add to the crockpot. This will cut down on cook time.