Overnight marinading and slow-roasting is the secret to this flavorful tender chicken! Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinade a minimum of 8 hours or 24 hours. If you are not a garlic-lover then omit the fresh garlic in the cavity of the chicken. This recipe can also be done using a larger roasting chicken although cooking time will need to be increased, or make a couple of chickens, you will have two make two separate spice mixtures in two small bowls for two chickens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (can use less)
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) whole chickens
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1In a small bowl mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, black pepper and garlic powder.
- 2Rinse the chicken and inside cavity under cold water, then pat dry using paper towel.
- 3Rub the chicken all over with oil.
- 4Rub the inside cavity with minced garlic, then season with white salt (or you may use the spice mixture for the cavity).
- 5Rub the outside of the chicken all over with the spice mixture.
- 6Place in a glass dish cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate for up to 8-24 hours.
- 7Set oven to 275°F.
- 8Place the chicken in a greased roasting pan, then place the onion quarters inside the cavity.
- 9Bake uncovered for about 4-1/2 hours or until very tender.
- 10Tent the cooked chicken with foil and let rest 15 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Roasted Whole Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.8
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 467.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 44.7 g