Recipe by Audrey M
This Beef Stew has a wonderful herb taste to it. It orginally came from Taste of Home Light and Tasty Magazine Dec/Jan '05. The only change I made was add quick cooking Tabioca to the broth to thicken it and cook it in the crockpot. In my house, I am considered the Crockpot Queen. LOL
Top Review by drichards9829
I am sure that this recipe is great as it is, but; I made a couple of changes. I substituted pinot noir wine for the apple juice and I used a 14 oz can stewed tomatoes, drained for the tomato paste. Magnifico! My husband said it was my best beef stew ever!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 1 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly brown beef cubes.
- If you don't have time, you can skip this step.
- Place beef cubes in bottom of slow cooker.
- Place chopped onion and minced garlic cloves on top of beef.
- Layer the potatoes,carrots and cooked bacon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the broth, apple juice, tomato paste, quick cooking tapioca, parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme,and pepper.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8- 9 hours or on high 4-5; until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.