Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Very yummy recipe - can't verify authenticity, but it tastes good (to us at least); hubby thought it terrific and he is the toughest judge. I threw most of the spices in there w/o measuring, so these measurements for spices are estimates (as are most of the recipes I post)...as always, use spices to your taste.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 onion, chopped, yellow
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked pork sausage, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, down to the rice, in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours; discard bay leaves.
- Stir in green onions and parsley, serve over rice.