Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Great slow cooker pot roast recipe, from the Best Cover and Bake Recipes by Cook's Illustrated.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 boneless chuck-eye roast, tied (5-6 lbs.)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1. Cook bacon until crisp. Save the bacon fat.
- 2. Season roast with salt and pepper. Brown roast in a skillet on all sides in 2 teaspoons of bacon fat. Put roast in slow cooker.
- 3. In your skillet, add remaining 2 tsps. bacon fat (if you don't have enough, use vegetable oil). Cook onions, carrots, and garlic until lightly browned. Add wine, tomato paste, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, oregano, and bay leaves. Turn the heat to high and simmer until wine is reduced by half, 8 - 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Pour over the roast.
- 4. Add beef and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 9 - 10 hours or high for 6 - 7 hours, until meat is tender. Remove meat, skim fat from liquid, and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.