Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This bread recipe gets baked in your slow cooker. No heating up the kitchen with your oven! The recipe comes from Salton Multipot Slow Cooker and was found on www.canada.com. I've made this once so far. For my first time I omitted the herbs and substituted a cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour. I used the full 3 hours to "bake" it as the crock pot I used is an older one which seems to cook at a lower temperature than the newer crock pots. The top of the bread remains soft but the sides become crusty. Step 1 should read "without the crock" not with the crock. I've tried submitting a correction for this mistake.
Top Review by Kristine at Food.com
Important note from Dreamer in Ontario:
"The first step of the instructions should read 'Preheat slow cooker unit, WITHOUT the crock, on high.' rather than with the crock. If you do it the other way, you may injure/burn yourself or break the crock if it's left in the unit to heat up."
- 473.18 ml lukewarm water, divided
- 8 g package active dry yeast
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml cornmeal
- 1064.65 ml all-purpose flour, approximately
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml dried basil leaves
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml milk, approximately
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat slow cooker unit, without the crock, on high.
- Grease slow crock very well and line the bottom with a greased round of parchment paper.
- Sprinkle interior of crock with cornmeal.
- Stir yeast and sugar into 1/2 cup of the water, set in a warm place and let stand for 10 minutes or until very foamy.
- Place flour in large bowl and mix in the herbs and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture, remaining water and oil.
- Mix by hand until a ragged dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a well-floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic (add up to 3/4 cup additional flour as needed to prevent sticking).
- Place dough in the crock and brush the top with the milk.
- Let stand in warm place for 5 minutes.
- Place crock in slow cooker unit, cover and bake on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the dough springs back when lightly pressed on top and the sides of the loaf are browned.
- Carefully remove crock and place on dry surface (otherwise crock may crack), allow to stand for 5 minutes, turn crock upside down and give it a sharp, quick shake to release loaf.
- Cool completely before slicing.