Recipe by joanne.smolka
Adapted to the slowcooker. Original source: Canadian Living Magazine: February 2011
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 hot green chili pepper (optional)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (400 ml) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (540 ml) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Sautee the onion and sausage until sausage is browned and onion clear, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and seasoning and sautee another minute. Tip into the slowcooker.
- Pour tomatoes into the slowcooker, breaking up with spoon. Add beans, chicken broth, water, oregano and sugar. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.