Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is perfect for a busy wife or husband on the go. Set up the cooker and forget about it. Great for cold nights.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (I use Rotel)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6to 7 inches)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is browned and veggies are tender; drain.
- Add the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cheeses.
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup of beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup of cheese; repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or until heated through.