1/5 Photos of Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
4 hrs 30 mins
This is similar to Brunswick Stew, but without the butter/lima beans and corn (which you can certainly add, if you like). :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups mushrooms, halved (I like crimini)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions (or 3/4 cup chopped onion)
- 1 cup celery, sliced, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika (make sure to use good quality paprika for full flavor!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 14 1/4 ounces chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups frozen green peas or 2 cups frozen edamame soybeans
- 1 cup cubed extra firm tofu (optional)
- 1Combine first 14 ingredients in an electric slow cooker.
- 2Cover with lid and cook on high setting for 4 hours or until carrot is tender.
- 3Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- 4Add cornstarch mixture and frozen peas or edamame (and tofu, if using) to the slow cooker, stir well.
- 5Re-cover and cook on high-heat setting an 30 additional minutes.
- 6Serve with hot cooked rice.
- 7Note: I don't eat much meat and prefer more vegetables, so I often add extra firm cubed tofu at the last 30 minute mark. Tasty! Also good with small new potatoes added at the beginning, which is another good way to stretch the recipe. :).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.0
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 83.5 mg
- Sodium 701.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 29.9 g