Slow-Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add ground sirloin and bulk sausage; cook until no longer pink.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, drain fat; set beef and sausage aside.
- Mince onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a food processor; transfer to a 4- to 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add meat mixture, tomatoes, milk, wine, beef broth, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, salt, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and fennel seed to slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Immediately before serving sauce, stir in mascarpone or cream cheese.