Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From www.cuisinerecipes.com website.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone or 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add ground sirloin and bulk sausage; cook until no longer pink.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, drain fat; set beef and sausage aside.
- Mince onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a food processor; transfer to a 4- to 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add meat mixture, tomatoes, milk, wine, beef broth, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, salt, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and fennel seed to slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Immediately before serving sauce, stir in mascarpone or cream cheese.
This is an excellent recipe, with a wide enough range of ingredients to make a sauce with good depth of flavour. I added sliced mushrooms, as I had some to use up, and used it in a lasagne.