This is one of the most tender and flavorful roasts that I've ever made in the crock pot. I really think the key is cooking the roast all day long on low! That's how I do it when I have the time and the meat just falls apart. This recipe is adapted from Sandra Lee.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) bag baby carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes, halved
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck roast, rinsed and patted dry
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup steak sauce
- Into a slow cooker, put the onions, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In large skillet over medium high heat, brown the meat on all sides in the oil.
- When it is nicely browned, put it in the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- In small bowl, stir together the cream of celery soup, onion soup mix, beef broth and steak sauce.
- Pour over the top of roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Note: This can also be cooked for 3-4 hours on a high setting, but I don't think it comes out as tender.