Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Tender barbecued ribs... without the barbecue! Adapted from Suzanne2802 at allrecipes.com.
Make and share this Slow Cooker Barbecued Ribs recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs pork baby back ribs
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup chili sauce (Heinz brand preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown ribs on all sides, working in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan. Transfer ribs to slow cooker as they are browned. Discard any fat that renders from the meat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, hot sauce, and salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over ribs in slow cooker, and turn to coat. Cover, and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours, or until ribs are tender. Remove bay leaf and discard before serving.
meat came right off the bones into the belly's of my 3 boys nad hubby~~~~ THEY LOVED IT!!!
I used sugar free ketchup and Splenda brown sugar so it wouldn't be too bad for my DH. One son wasn't into it at all and the other gave it a 3.5-4 probably, in part, due to the artificial sweetner but also they were falling apart and were like pulled pork more than ribs. I liked the taste of the sauce. My DH is still working and hasn't tried them yet. If his review is different I will add it. Thanks!