Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Australian Gourmet Traveller.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 baguette
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add anchovies and rosemary. Stir to combine, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until onion and garlic are very soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat grill (broiler) to high. Split baguette in half lengthways and cut widthways into 8cm (3 inch) pieces. Toast under grill until golden brown. Top with garlic and onion and serve.
This was great! My family loved it, especially my dad who really appreciates anchovies. I liked it because you couldn't taste all the saltiness after they were cooked with the onion and garlic. The fresh rosemary really brought this dish together. I really liked this side, even though I suffered a pretty deep cut while trying to cut the baguette in half!
An absolute 5-star, less-is-more, dish. Carmelized onions and garlic -- who could ask for anything more? The anchovies melt away in cooking, and the oil in the pan was delicious for dipping chunks of bread. Fantastic recipe, Amanda. Made for PAC Fall 2008.
This was really good. I enjoyed the onions very much. I liked the anchovies cooked too.