Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
Recipe makes chicken and gravy good enough for company.
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 chicken livers or 1 chicken giblets
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats or 3 tablespoons oat flour
- Arrange two thirds of the carrots, onions, and celery in the bottom of a crock pot. Add the stock or water and sprinkle with half of basil and thyme.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Remove the skin. Place the 2 breast halves in a single layer atop the vegetables. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp lemon juice and a little of the remaining basil and thyme.
- Add remaining chicken pieces and sprinkle with remaining lemon juice and basil and thyme.
- Cover pot thightly and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving paltter. Keep them warm in low heat oven while you prepare gravy.
- Pour cooking juices into a 2 cup measuring cup. If needed, add enough stock to measure 2 cups. Reserve.
- Saute the chicken liver or giblets in the oil for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and chop finely. If still pink on inside, saute for another minute or two.
- Blend the rolled oats in a blender to a fine powder. Skip this if using oat flour.
- Add reserved stock and blend with flour for 20 seconds. Pour into saute pan, add chopped liver or giblets, abd bring to a boil. Stir as sauce thickens. Taste for seasonings and then serve with chicken.