Recipe by carolinafan
I love the ease of preparing this in my slow cooker.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
I used skinless boneless chicken breast halves and did not brown them prior to placing them in the crock pot, the chicken was moist & tender. I didn't have celery or mushrooms (maybe next time), so my review is based on the recipe minus those ingredients. I decided at the end of cooking (during the same step that I added the snow peas) that I would add about a cup of instant rice (didn't feel like making another pot dirty and my microwave quit the other day, glad I did. It turned out pretty good and didn't need to thicken it up with the cornstarch either. My 1 year old ate, and ate and ate it! I would say my final dish tasted similar to Won Ton soup (minus the Won Tons), which is great because we love it in our house. Next time I will make sure I have all the ingredients and update my review, but I think it's definetly a minimal effort, cook all day keeper! Thanks for sharing!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally (1 cup)
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 ounces)
- 1 cup snow pea pods (Chinese)
- chow mein noodles, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove fat from chicken. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil about 5 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- Place carrots, celery, onion, garlic and water chestnuts in 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker. Add chicken. Mix broth, soy sauce and gingerroot; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in center and vegetables are tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth, stir into chicken mixture. Stir in mushrooms and pea pods. Cover and cook on high heat setting 15 minutes. Serve over noodles.