Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
A rich, comforting, old family favorite
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups hot cooked noodles
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the stew meat in hot oil (do this in batches if necessary); drain well.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf to a 4-quart slow-cooker.
- Add in the stew meat.
- Pour the beef broth and sherry over meat/vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Increase to heat to HIGH; in a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, flour, and water until smooth.
- Stir one cup of hot liquid into the sour cream mixture.
- Return all to slow cooker; stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes or until thick and bubbly; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve meat, vegetables and sauce over hot cooked noodles.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley over the top.
This tasted nothing like beef stroganoff. It tasted like mushroom soup with meat in it.