Recipe by bugged out bird
This chicken rocks! Kinda messy but worth it! The sherry gives it a unique flavor. Call your friends over and throw this on the grill! They are sure to like it!!
Top Review by 3KillerBs
Tangy and flavorful, the marinade combined with the sauce makes an interesting combination. A bit expensive to use all that sherry, but it does make the flavor penetrate down into the meat. One suggestion -- It would make the recipe easier to follow if you separated the ingredients into marinade ingredients and sauce ingredients. I got a little cross-eyed squinting at my computer from across the room and the tomato puree ended up in the marinade. LOL
- 3 -4 lbs chicken breasts or 3 -4 lbs chicken thighs or 3 -4 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry sherry
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chicken in a large ziplock bag and prepare marinade.
- Marinade- in a medium bowl stir together the sherry, onion, lemon juice, and garlic.
- Pour over chicken; seal bag.
- Marinate for at least 2 hrs, overnight if possible.
- Flip the bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken, RESERVING marinade.
- Cover and chill chicken until ready to grill.
- For the sauce- in a large saucepan combine the reserved marinade, tomato puree, honey and the molasses, salt, thyme, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Preheat grill.
- Reduce to medium heat and place chicken bone side down on the grill rack.
- Cover and grill for 50-60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, brushing with some of the sauce during the last 15 minutes of grilling.
- To serve, reheat and pass the remaining sauce over chicken.