Recipe by Mille®
I have butchered the original recipe to accomodate my dietary requirements. Feel free to modify the seasonings according to your taste.
Top Review by Living la vida a belleza
Thanks for the great recipe. I used Laura Dean's lean ground beef (4% fat) and it worked very well. I too used brown sugar. I didn't have any of the Mrs. Dash, so I added some garlic and salt. I also added some Knorr tomato bouillon. I haven't been a real fan of homemade sloppy joes (or the canned stuff either), but this recipe definately changed my mind. Going in my own cookbook.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Angostura brand is low in sodium)
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or 3 tablespoons Hunt's no-salt ketchup with chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 dash Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- METHOD#1: Brown ground meat in margarine with remaining ingredients.
- After browning ingredients, simmer for 1 hour.
- Ground turkey can be substituted for beef.
- METHOD#2: Mix all ingredients in crock-pot and cook on low until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Serve on hamburger rolls or biscuits.