Prep 50 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe is from the American Dairy Association of Indiana by Mrs. Sophia Benfield.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lentils, picked over, washed and drained
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 1 egg
- 1 (16 ounce) container low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a 2-qt. non- stick saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper and ground turkey.
- Cook, stirring and breaking up meat until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour off drippings.
- Stir in chili powder, tomato sauce, sugar and lentils.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally to keep mixture from sticking.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna according to directions on package; drain.
- In medium bowl, beat egg, blend in cottage cheese, mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- In a 13x9x2-inch pan, arrange half the noodles, overlapping to fit, spread with half the cheese-egg mixture, half the meat mixture, and half the Mozzarella.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake covered about 40 minutes, until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This was soooooo good!! Loved the fact that there are lentils in this recipe and it adds so much taste to this lasagna!! Will for sure make this again! Thanks Kelly! Made for Photo Tag.