Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a completely different version of your regular tuna casserole. Whip this up during the week and save even more time by using already frozen bell peppers and onions. Recipe courtesy of Menu Magic--Family Favorites from Ore-Ida.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 2 -3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 13 ounces chunk light tuna, drained and flaked
- 10 ounces frozen peas, partially defrosted and broken apart
- 4 cups frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease a 2 quart oblong casserole.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook green pepper and onion until tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour, salt, dill seed, and pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk, liquid drained from mushroom can, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Add tuna, peas, and mushrooms.
- Return to boil and spoon mixture into casserole.
- Arrange frozen tater tots in a single layer on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly in the center.
This was good and different. I found that it didn't "stick" together well, so I would use less liquid next time or more flour. The sauce needed to be thicker. Great flavor and easy to make.