Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
This isn't going to take hrs of slow cooking to create a real family pleasing meal. In about 30 mins you'll have a dish that the family will love. Serve it with a crisp green salad and your all set.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 (8 ounce) filet mignon (needed for tenderness in a short period time. Can use other cuts if you'r ok with chewing)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 8 ounces small mushrooms, halved
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- Preheat oven according to pie crust directions.
- Season filets with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown steaks on both sides, leaving centers rare, about 4 minutes total.
- Transfer to plate, let cool, then cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil, onion, mushrooms, and ½ teaspoon salt to skillet.
- Return to medium heat and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is well blended (about 1 minute).
- Stir in wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in broth, tomato paste, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, unfold pie crust dough and place onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake according to package directions.
- Stir peas and carrots and beef with juices into skillet.
- Continue to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When pie crust is done, carefully slide onto skillet and serve.
This turned out great! The flavors were perfect :) I don't often use tenderloin, but it sure was worth it here. I think I do prefer cooking the pie with the crust on, but this worked great for a quick dinner. I'm sure I'll use this in the future!