Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the quickest version of superb 'lasagna' that I know of! Recipe modified from Cooks Illustrated. Ground chicken is best; however, meatloaf mix may also be used (a combination of ground beef, pork, and veal). If it’s unavailable, use ground beef or half beef and pork. A 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight-fitting lid works best for this recipe.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 medium garlic cloves (minced or pressed through a garlic press, about 1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb meatloaf mix
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths or 250 g dry pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, mix
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Pour the tomatoes with their juices into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup. Add salt and sugar. Add water until the mixture measures 1 quart.
- Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute lightly. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground meat and Italian spice, cook, breaking apart the meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle meat with salt to taste while still pink.
- Scatter the pasta over the meat but do not stir. Pour the diced tomatoes with their juices and the tomato sauce over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with heaping tablespoons of the cottage cheese, cover, and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the basil and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve.